slffl
Apr 26, 09:17 PM
OMG you should see how many people here in Seattle refer to all Android phones as 'Droids'. Verizon better start protecting that ***** as it's already become the name for all Android phones for the 'think they know what they are talking about' android fans.
drkstar
Nov 29, 02:54 PM
According to Bob Cringley:
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20060922_000979.html
"Now what about that USB port on the back of each iTV box? Giving his tour of the gizmo last week, Jobs rushed right past the USB port. What could that port be for? It's not for a USB hard drive, that's for sure, because the key brain in this system is back in your Mac or PC and its very large hard drive. Nor will Apple (immediately) enable the iTV to act as a digital video recorder, because that might step on TV network toes before Apple is ready to do so. The USB port is clearly intended for an Apple iSight camera, a webcam to go with your HDTV."
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20060922_000979.html
"Now what about that USB port on the back of each iTV box? Giving his tour of the gizmo last week, Jobs rushed right past the USB port. What could that port be for? It's not for a USB hard drive, that's for sure, because the key brain in this system is back in your Mac or PC and its very large hard drive. Nor will Apple (immediately) enable the iTV to act as a digital video recorder, because that might step on TV network toes before Apple is ready to do so. The USB port is clearly intended for an Apple iSight camera, a webcam to go with your HDTV."
Lord Blackadder
Mar 4, 02:27 PM
In many ways, it's shameful today that we think that 60 or even 70mpg is somehow remarkable for a family car. :(
It certainly could be significantly higher. Public taste, laziness on the part of manufacturers and other things have all conspired to keep the bar set low on fuel economy.
In the US, there's one key reason why small cars don't sell (above and beyond the reasons I already listed), and that is that popular wisdom holds that you will die in a small car when someone in a large SUV or truck hits you. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy as people buy big cars because they don't feel safe in small ones, with the result that they become part of the "problem". Ultimately it's down to selfishness. Apparently people would rather kill someone else in an accident than risk being killed themselves.
It's idiotic, but this "wisdom" will only be unlearned slowly. Smaller cars are much safer now then they once were - safer than trucks and SUVs.
By way of a postscript, it's worth pointing out that today's safety and environmental regulations make it more difficult to make a car frugal, small and light than it was when Alec Issigonis designed the Mini. Also, aluminum construction (in smaller production cars such as the A2) remains nearly as rare and expensive as it was in the 50s.
But not the brand image... that could perhaps be the biggest stumbling block of all, it certainly is in Europe anyway.
True, and that's a shame, because brand image often matters than a car's actual merits. If the new Jetta is a turd, people will still buy it because the VW badge has cachet here that GM does not, at least in the realm of small cars.
I'm not going to stand up too much for GM, I've never held a high opinion of most of their products, but I have reasonably read good reviews of the Cruze and I hope they bring the diesel here.
Have to say my preference is for saloons... occasionally an estate (particularly A4 & A6 allroads, also 159 Sportwagons, that sort of thing), hatches (the bigger ones anyway) & estates can/tend to be a little boomy in my experience. Saloons also often have better body rigidity too.
The sedan body is the default in the US. Hatches and wagons are much rarer and therefore more interesting. In Europe it's really the other way around. When you're talking about mid-size or larger cars, sedans do generally have better proportions in my opinion (with a few exceptions - I like 5-Series wagon, and the 1990s Subaru Legacy wagon). Hatches look good on small cars though. The Focus, for example, looked stupid as a sedan but great as a hatch.
I do agree with you about the noise though - my Forester's rear suspension is sometimes very audible in the cabin, especially with the seats down. A few years before I bought my Forester, I used to mock it as the ugliest thing on the road, but I've gotten used to it and while it's never going to be attractive it does have a certain pleasing purposefulness in its proportions. Even though a lesbian couple I know call it my lesbian wagon. :rolleyes::D
It certainly could be significantly higher. Public taste, laziness on the part of manufacturers and other things have all conspired to keep the bar set low on fuel economy.
In the US, there's one key reason why small cars don't sell (above and beyond the reasons I already listed), and that is that popular wisdom holds that you will die in a small car when someone in a large SUV or truck hits you. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy as people buy big cars because they don't feel safe in small ones, with the result that they become part of the "problem". Ultimately it's down to selfishness. Apparently people would rather kill someone else in an accident than risk being killed themselves.
It's idiotic, but this "wisdom" will only be unlearned slowly. Smaller cars are much safer now then they once were - safer than trucks and SUVs.
By way of a postscript, it's worth pointing out that today's safety and environmental regulations make it more difficult to make a car frugal, small and light than it was when Alec Issigonis designed the Mini. Also, aluminum construction (in smaller production cars such as the A2) remains nearly as rare and expensive as it was in the 50s.
But not the brand image... that could perhaps be the biggest stumbling block of all, it certainly is in Europe anyway.
True, and that's a shame, because brand image often matters than a car's actual merits. If the new Jetta is a turd, people will still buy it because the VW badge has cachet here that GM does not, at least in the realm of small cars.
I'm not going to stand up too much for GM, I've never held a high opinion of most of their products, but I have reasonably read good reviews of the Cruze and I hope they bring the diesel here.
Have to say my preference is for saloons... occasionally an estate (particularly A4 & A6 allroads, also 159 Sportwagons, that sort of thing), hatches (the bigger ones anyway) & estates can/tend to be a little boomy in my experience. Saloons also often have better body rigidity too.
The sedan body is the default in the US. Hatches and wagons are much rarer and therefore more interesting. In Europe it's really the other way around. When you're talking about mid-size or larger cars, sedans do generally have better proportions in my opinion (with a few exceptions - I like 5-Series wagon, and the 1990s Subaru Legacy wagon). Hatches look good on small cars though. The Focus, for example, looked stupid as a sedan but great as a hatch.
I do agree with you about the noise though - my Forester's rear suspension is sometimes very audible in the cabin, especially with the seats down. A few years before I bought my Forester, I used to mock it as the ugliest thing on the road, but I've gotten used to it and while it's never going to be attractive it does have a certain pleasing purposefulness in its proportions. Even though a lesbian couple I know call it my lesbian wagon. :rolleyes::D
cube
Mar 24, 02:04 PM
There are few PCIe lanes in Thunderbolt. You cannot do heavy graphics.
bug67
Sep 14, 02:33 PM
Whatever. I got one anyway. No problems whatsoever. :D
BRLawyer
Aug 26, 11:33 AM
Gee, you'd want to be damn sure of that announcement next Tuesday or risk looking like a complete idiot. We shall soon see..
Mr. Shaw is pronouncing this since late 2005...so no surprises here... :rolleyes:
Mr. Shaw is pronouncing this since late 2005...so no surprises here... :rolleyes:
dongmin
Sep 6, 10:08 PM
Rentals...
The studios won't go for it because people will figure out a way to record off the streams and/or rented file. You can argue that people'll figure out a way to crack the purchased movie fiels too, but at least in this case the studio has the $10 or $15 for it instead of $4. Personally, I love the Netflix model, but I don't see the studios going for it.
Burning DVDs...
The new hardware from Apple (video iPod and video-streaming Airport) will make DVD players obsolete. Really, why hassle with discs when you get just browse and play via Front Row?
As for backing up, you can easily back up the .m4v file onto a HD or DVD-R (data). Why would you need to burn a video DVD, except for the convenience of playing on a stand-alone DVD player (which I addressed above)?
The studios won't go for it because people will figure out a way to record off the streams and/or rented file. You can argue that people'll figure out a way to crack the purchased movie fiels too, but at least in this case the studio has the $10 or $15 for it instead of $4. Personally, I love the Netflix model, but I don't see the studios going for it.
Burning DVDs...
The new hardware from Apple (video iPod and video-streaming Airport) will make DVD players obsolete. Really, why hassle with discs when you get just browse and play via Front Row?
As for backing up, you can easily back up the .m4v file onto a HD or DVD-R (data). Why would you need to burn a video DVD, except for the convenience of playing on a stand-alone DVD player (which I addressed above)?
MattSepeta
Mar 23, 02:15 PM
You don't like the idea that businesses can choose what they want to offer or not offer.
No, I fully support that.
I am simply disappointed that they pander to special interests. Just one of many reasons I voted with my wallet and bought a droid.
No, I fully support that.
I am simply disappointed that they pander to special interests. Just one of many reasons I voted with my wallet and bought a droid.
quadgirl
Sep 1, 02:15 PM
At WWDC, Apple mentioned one of Leopard's features - 64 bit application support. Let's fast forward to Leopard's release day and look at Apple's line. I'm guessing that all all their machines will have 64-bit processors, but surely the difference in processors used in the Macbook, Macbook Pro, the iMac, and the mini, surely can't be just speed, and all using the Merom? The iMac will have Conroe, maybe an E6600.
MacRumors
Mar 25, 03:34 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/25/real-racing-2-hd-for-ipad-2-to-gain-1080p-video-out-with-dual-displays/)

Justin Bieber Concert Canceled

Video: Justin Bieber Halts

Justin Bieber Receives Four

Justin Bieber performed at

Avril 2010 middot; Justin Bieber

justin bieber in concert 2010.
thefunkymunky
Aug 7, 08:12 AM
Man, thats not enough.... we need dual Nvidia mobile GPUs with SLI...just like Alienware has! (Each with 512MB, for a total of 1GB video ram!)
Imagine trying to keep those puppies cool.
Imagine trying to keep those puppies cool.
Prints
Oct 23, 07:28 AM
Tuesday Release!!!!
from your lips to Steve's ear....
from your lips to Steve's ear....
Kranchammer
Mar 24, 01:20 PM
Even then though...I dont think this means anything special for non-MacPro owners. Everything else gets the mGPU treatment:(
Well, that's because all of Apple's other products are constrained by power and/or space requirements.
Well, that's because all of Apple's other products are constrained by power and/or space requirements.
gyus
May 2, 04:54 PM
The more I see of iOS for the desktop, umm sorry I mean Lion, the more I dislike.
Definitely skipping Lion. Perhaps Mac OSX will return to being designed around a screen larger than the ipad/ iphone and (gasp!) a keyboard.
Definitely skipping Lion. Perhaps Mac OSX will return to being designed around a screen larger than the ipad/ iphone and (gasp!) a keyboard.
JackSYi
Jul 21, 01:47 AM
The stock price is gonna soar.
Rodimus Prime
Apr 23, 11:15 AM
-- The cache is good
Let's be clear: the cell/hotspot lookup caching was undoubtedly an innocently added coding feature.

Justin Bieber New 2010 Concert

Justin Bieber in Concert 2010

Justin+ieber+concert
Let's be clear: the cell/hotspot lookup caching was undoubtedly an innocently added coding feature.
Danger! Will
Feb 6, 09:07 AM
It replaced my 2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero.
Link2999
Sep 26, 11:41 AM
Try using the griffin website. :)
It isn't on there. Just as some of the Grip Vue colors are unavailable.
It isn't on there. Just as some of the Grip Vue colors are unavailable.
kidwithdimples
Feb 20, 03:39 PM
Who's the gal? ;)
She looks like Mila Kunis.
She looks like Mila Kunis.
SpiderDude
Jun 24, 12:18 PM
No chance. The ergonomics would be a disaster.
I second that. I have both an 27 iMac and the first aluminum Macbook with a Multi-Touch trackpad and touching on a screen would be quite uncomfortable. I'd rather use my macbook's Multi-Touch trackpad than the magic mouse.
:apple:
I second that. I have both an 27 iMac and the first aluminum Macbook with a Multi-Touch trackpad and touching on a screen would be quite uncomfortable. I'd rather use my macbook's Multi-Touch trackpad than the magic mouse.
:apple:
SactoGuy18
Jan 2, 04:41 PM
I personally think we'll see this:
1) 2G iPod nano available in 16 GB edition. Apple drops the 2 GB edition and lowers the price of the 4 GB to $175 and 8 GB to $225.
2) 30 GB 5.5G iPod dropped, replaced by new 40 GB model. 80 GB model has no changes.
3) "True" video iPod (about the size of the Samsung Q1 handheld computer) arrives with 16:9 aspect ratio screen with full touchscreen functions. Will offer either 80 GB or 120 GB hard disk drive capacities.
1) 2G iPod nano available in 16 GB edition. Apple drops the 2 GB edition and lowers the price of the 4 GB to $175 and 8 GB to $225.
2) 30 GB 5.5G iPod dropped, replaced by new 40 GB model. 80 GB model has no changes.
3) "True" video iPod (about the size of the Samsung Q1 handheld computer) arrives with 16:9 aspect ratio screen with full touchscreen functions. Will offer either 80 GB or 120 GB hard disk drive capacities.
SirOmega
Aug 24, 11:21 PM
Yeah! I was looking at a bunch of minis for a rendering farm, and given the SSE performance improvement over the yonahs (the Pentium-M series have been weak in FP traditionally) this should be fun.
rdowns
Mar 20, 08:51 AM
I actually think having troops is better.
Yeah, that's worked so well for us in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Yeah, that's worked so well for us in Iraq and Afghanistan.
ldkaplan
Jan 2, 03:07 PM
You probably don't like penut butter cups either :-(
I have a treo 700p...I'd much rather have a mac version of some sort to keep my calendar, listen to music and take calls. A multi-tool might not be for everyone, but there are plenty of folks that would love it. And what if it had video chat as well?
I really like the iTV/iSight rumors. Someone needs to bring video chat for the home user to the mainstream. And if it's not dependent upon having a mac desktop (ie running some sort of light OS) then it would be a huge market hit, IMHO.
A phone is best used to make phone calls not for music. If you want to listen to music theres a nano... I dont like the idea of putting them together compromising each other.
Phone Compromises:
Worst reception or larger size due to the added multimedia.
Buttons are geared towards music instead of calls and stuff that is useful for making calls.
iPod Compromises:
Shorter battery life than iPod
No Line-out for superior audio quality.
Worst navigation for selecting songs.
I like a great phone and a great iPod. Not an alright phone and alright iPod in one place so I cant just carry one or the other.
I have a treo 700p...I'd much rather have a mac version of some sort to keep my calendar, listen to music and take calls. A multi-tool might not be for everyone, but there are plenty of folks that would love it. And what if it had video chat as well?
I really like the iTV/iSight rumors. Someone needs to bring video chat for the home user to the mainstream. And if it's not dependent upon having a mac desktop (ie running some sort of light OS) then it would be a huge market hit, IMHO.
A phone is best used to make phone calls not for music. If you want to listen to music theres a nano... I dont like the idea of putting them together compromising each other.
Phone Compromises:
Worst reception or larger size due to the added multimedia.
Buttons are geared towards music instead of calls and stuff that is useful for making calls.
iPod Compromises:
Shorter battery life than iPod
No Line-out for superior audio quality.
Worst navigation for selecting songs.
I like a great phone and a great iPod. Not an alright phone and alright iPod in one place so I cant just carry one or the other.
No comments:
Post a Comment