marksman
Apr 21, 03:01 PM
So somebody sues you for (insert nefarious activity of your choice) and you deny it saying you were nowhere near Location-X at the time. Then, under rules of disclosure, they subpeona your iPhone/iPad/MBP/TC to obtain your data. The data shows you were at least in the vicinity of Location-X and so had the opportunity to perform (aforesaid nefarious activity).
They can do that anyways. They could subponea the cell phone records and the cell phone company would have the exact same record from the other side. People really don't understand what is going on here when they fly off the handle with these wacky examples.
The cell phone provider has a log of every cell tower you have visited with your phone. This is often used in legal cases as evidence.
I agree that the location data should be dumped... every few hours... so the files contain minimal information. Backups should exclude all this location data. I cannot imagine why any application needs to know my location from more than a few hours ago.
That is because you don't understand what the data is for... It is a database to help assist with the functioning of the device. It is not a log file of places you visited. See you don't even know what the file is for but you are demanding how it should be changed.
Dumping the file every few hours would make the significant functionality it provides the phone worthless.
Did you know the future of cellular phones is going to use systems where you are predictably moved to a specific tower based on where they believe you are going as it will help with throughput for data, signal quality, reduced power consumption and overall functionality. Such databases will absolutely be a part of all cell phones going forward. It is part of the technology, part of the functionality.
If someone steals your phone they might see some of that data, and they might also see the roll of pictures you took at the furry convention.
They can do that anyways. They could subponea the cell phone records and the cell phone company would have the exact same record from the other side. People really don't understand what is going on here when they fly off the handle with these wacky examples.
The cell phone provider has a log of every cell tower you have visited with your phone. This is often used in legal cases as evidence.
I agree that the location data should be dumped... every few hours... so the files contain minimal information. Backups should exclude all this location data. I cannot imagine why any application needs to know my location from more than a few hours ago.
That is because you don't understand what the data is for... It is a database to help assist with the functioning of the device. It is not a log file of places you visited. See you don't even know what the file is for but you are demanding how it should be changed.
Dumping the file every few hours would make the significant functionality it provides the phone worthless.
Did you know the future of cellular phones is going to use systems where you are predictably moved to a specific tower based on where they believe you are going as it will help with throughput for data, signal quality, reduced power consumption and overall functionality. Such databases will absolutely be a part of all cell phones going forward. It is part of the technology, part of the functionality.
If someone steals your phone they might see some of that data, and they might also see the roll of pictures you took at the furry convention.
LastZion
Dec 2, 10:51 AM
If iTV has some PVR functions in it, it is going to be tough to compete with. Very exciting
Tones2
Mar 22, 03:44 PM
The chance that the iPod Classic is updated to 220GB is zero. Apple has no plans to ever update a hard drive based non-touch portable device (they would not waste their time), and they've shown even less interest in increasing the capacity of any device beyond even 64GB flash.
Tony
Tony
entatlrg
Feb 27, 11:35 PM
^^^^^
@vader
SO what is carrying all your lovely gear? :)
Looks like a 13" STM bag.
@vader
SO what is carrying all your lovely gear? :)
Looks like a 13" STM bag.
donlphi
Sep 6, 07:26 PM
CAN YOU SAY, "HERBIE FULLY LOADED IS THE #1 DOWNLOAD ON ITUNES MOVIE STORE"?
IF YOU CAN'T, GET READY, BECAUSE THAT WILL BE THE ONLY MOVIE AVAILABLE... ugh... that and Mary Poppins... geeze...
56781
IF YOU CAN'T, GET READY, BECAUSE THAT WILL BE THE ONLY MOVIE AVAILABLE... ugh... that and Mary Poppins... geeze...
56781

Umbongo
Nov 16, 11:44 AM
either way, its both a win-win situation
a) you dont need 8 cores?? see the 4 cores Mac pro goes down in retail price
b) you want 8 cores? Great !! here it is
case close.
An unlikely scenario. Don't expect any price drops on mac pros for a long time after clovertown chips are in them.
a) you dont need 8 cores?? see the 4 cores Mac pro goes down in retail price
b) you want 8 cores? Great !! here it is
case close.
An unlikely scenario. Don't expect any price drops on mac pros for a long time after clovertown chips are in them.
vand0576
Sep 1, 01:28 PM
Thats crazy! no way do Computers (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME.
Of course computer lines overlap. Check the other online stores, and not the apple online store every 5 minutes and you would know this. Think about it, they almost have to! How many different models does Dell or HP sell at any given moment? How many choices does one need to narrow down? You can customize something like 11-12 machines on other sites, that are all very comparable, IMO
Of course computer lines overlap. Check the other online stores, and not the apple online store every 5 minutes and you would know this. Think about it, they almost have to! How many different models does Dell or HP sell at any given moment? How many choices does one need to narrow down? You can customize something like 11-12 machines on other sites, that are all very comparable, IMO
thederby
Mar 22, 05:26 PM
Just put it in a YoTank case like I did. You can drive your car over it without damaging the iPod.
http://www.substrata.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/CJE3140.jpg
More pics here (http://www.substrata.ca/blog/uncategorized/portable-music-rig/).
that's hot.
http://www.substrata.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/CJE3140.jpg
More pics here (http://www.substrata.ca/blog/uncategorized/portable-music-rig/).
that's hot.

person135
Oct 30, 03:05 PM
The switcheasy color looks good, and it's cheap, but this griffin one (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/flexgrip-action-touch4g) also looks good and this Speck pixelskin (http://www.speckproducts.com/ipod-audio/ipod-touch-4th-gen/pixelskin-black-1501.html) too, but the griffin one seems to be shock/drop proof (at least more so than the other 2).
BRLawyer
Apr 19, 12:01 PM
My 24" iMac is still going strong... they'll something pretty major to get me to consider getting a new one.
Mine too, a wonderful machine...but I am definitely going for a new one if the upgrade is good enough. :rolleyes:
Mine too, a wonderful machine...but I am definitely going for a new one if the upgrade is good enough. :rolleyes:
CIA
Apr 12, 08:40 PM
Also known as the guy who made FCP and Premiere originally.
Also the guy who took a nice iMovie and made it unusable. I hope he doesn't fsck up FCP. Even iMovie had background rendering until he stripped it out.
Also the guy who took a nice iMovie and made it unusable. I hope he doesn't fsck up FCP. Even iMovie had background rendering until he stripped it out.

Statusnone88
Oct 3, 08:21 AM
I picked up this griffin outfit gloss for my girlfriends ipod touch that I bought her two days ago and the thing scratched the PISS out of the back when we went to peel it off.
Is the Griffin Reveal any different then that? it's about the same in price but it's not 100% polycarbonate.
Just really looking for something... anything to put on this thing until speck comes out with something decent.
Is the Griffin Reveal any different then that? it's about the same in price but it's not 100% polycarbonate.
Just really looking for something... anything to put on this thing until speck comes out with something decent.
09iMac=Fail
Mar 27, 08:44 PM
I assume that's what you meant. Because we've seen touchscreen devices advance by leaps and bounds since June 2007. In two years' time it will very likely be an entirely new ballgame with such devices being a dominant force in tech, including gaming.
This little demo is just barely scratching the surface.
Saying that touch screen devices will be the dominant force in gaming in 2 years is a bold statement. I'd love to see them advance that much in 2 years, but I have a hard time seeing them being superior to traditional systems.
LTD, do you own a PS3 or other similar system? We all know you don't own a 360. :) Just curious if you are much of a gamer or not. And no, gaming on cell phones or similar devices is not what I'm talking about.
This little demo is just barely scratching the surface.
Saying that touch screen devices will be the dominant force in gaming in 2 years is a bold statement. I'd love to see them advance that much in 2 years, but I have a hard time seeing them being superior to traditional systems.
LTD, do you own a PS3 or other similar system? We all know you don't own a 360. :) Just curious if you are much of a gamer or not. And no, gaming on cell phones or similar devices is not what I'm talking about.

OllyW
Mar 22, 01:02 PM
I don't believe any was born gay, that's my opinion. I believe you make the choice in your life, just like you make the choice on what career you want and college you desire to go to. I have friends that were once married (guy/girl) and then divorced because they liked their sex better. So now they are openly gay and happy. I have back and forth e-mails with them stating they consider it a choice. One of my friends is a writer for Lesbians and spoke in front of congress on this issue 2 years ago. I was with her and she even stated that it was a choice to become a lesbian and it's now America's choice to accept it for all for choose this path.
I don't believe you, that's my opinion.
I don't believe you, that's my opinion.
kadajawi
Sep 6, 10:13 AM
The 24" iMac can be upgraded to a 7600GT video card. Anyone know how decent that is? What about the x1600?
Somewhat decent, a bit faster than the 6600GT, less power consumption IIRC. Just look out for normal reviews in the PC territory, that should give you an idea. I think it would be a decent choice in a sub-$1000 computer... over that I'd be expecting something better. Still, the 6600GT which I have is pretty decent, can play most games at a good resolution and high quality settings.
I'm going to buy the basic Mini... the size makes the difference, since it's going to be used at different locations (every few months in a different country ;) ). A superdrive would be nice, but not neccessary.
Anyone knows if student discount and the "free printer" works with refurbs too?
Somewhat decent, a bit faster than the 6600GT, less power consumption IIRC. Just look out for normal reviews in the PC territory, that should give you an idea. I think it would be a decent choice in a sub-$1000 computer... over that I'd be expecting something better. Still, the 6600GT which I have is pretty decent, can play most games at a good resolution and high quality settings.
I'm going to buy the basic Mini... the size makes the difference, since it's going to be used at different locations (every few months in a different country ;) ). A superdrive would be nice, but not neccessary.
Anyone knows if student discount and the "free printer" works with refurbs too?
apb3
Aug 17, 11:49 AM
I don't really see the demand behind adding wireless functionality into the iPod. I think wireless is the buzz word right now and investment managers and industry analysts don't even know what it means.
Bluetooth headphones, if they sound good, and bluetooth syncing is the only function people might use out of this. However, most people charge as they sync, so they would need to connect the iPod to the computer anyway. Bluetooth headphones would need to be charged too, and that is a nuisance.
The only thing semi-useful out of 802.11 is sending audio to airport express. But I use my laptop for that already, so does this really add any functionality? No one I know will be typing in a 256-bit WPA key into their iPod so they can play their iPod music over their friend's airport express, either. At work, I can view and sample my coworker's library on my computer - even when they leave for lunch. And if I like it, I can buy it on iTunes right there. Again, where is the usefulness of a wireless iPod?
I can see how XM radio might be useful to many, even though it doesn't appeal to me. However, I would think Apple would want an exclusive deal if they were to offer this feature.
A man (almost - I think XM blows as compared to Sirius, seriously) after my own heart.... ;)
and so much more succinct.:D
Bluetooth headphones, if they sound good, and bluetooth syncing is the only function people might use out of this. However, most people charge as they sync, so they would need to connect the iPod to the computer anyway. Bluetooth headphones would need to be charged too, and that is a nuisance.
The only thing semi-useful out of 802.11 is sending audio to airport express. But I use my laptop for that already, so does this really add any functionality? No one I know will be typing in a 256-bit WPA key into their iPod so they can play their iPod music over their friend's airport express, either. At work, I can view and sample my coworker's library on my computer - even when they leave for lunch. And if I like it, I can buy it on iTunes right there. Again, where is the usefulness of a wireless iPod?
I can see how XM radio might be useful to many, even though it doesn't appeal to me. However, I would think Apple would want an exclusive deal if they were to offer this feature.
A man (almost - I think XM blows as compared to Sirius, seriously) after my own heart.... ;)
and so much more succinct.:D
absurdio
Oct 24, 05:46 AM
I'd love to see a new design, but I'll be happy with:
1. C2D 2.33GHz
2. bigger HD, with easy-swap HD bay
3. heat problems, "mooing," and random-shutdowns solved
Anything else will be icing on the cake!
:)
iBorg
Completely right. As everyone else has speculated, it seems likely that the big overhaul will be early next year. That said, if this revision has the upgrades you mentioned, I'll be elated. I'd much rather have a functional (i.e. not overheating, mooing, and whining) machine than a feature-crammed but functionally useless one. Stability, in this case, is probably more important than unworkable new features.
1. C2D 2.33GHz
2. bigger HD, with easy-swap HD bay
3. heat problems, "mooing," and random-shutdowns solved
Anything else will be icing on the cake!
:)
iBorg
Completely right. As everyone else has speculated, it seems likely that the big overhaul will be early next year. That said, if this revision has the upgrades you mentioned, I'll be elated. I'd much rather have a functional (i.e. not overheating, mooing, and whining) machine than a feature-crammed but functionally useless one. Stability, in this case, is probably more important than unworkable new features.
quagmire
Mar 7, 03:22 PM
That'll be the marshmallows they use to replace the springs to make it a little softer for the yanks. :D
While I haven't driven the Insignia over in Europe, the Regal drives solid and is very stable. So I don't think they did any modifications to the suspension.
A SPEED TV show went over to Europe to drive a US Spec Buick Regal and drove it on the autobahn and nurburgring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8PHIbe3lsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwEVzDZ5NYY&feature=related
While I haven't driven the Insignia over in Europe, the Regal drives solid and is very stable. So I don't think they did any modifications to the suspension.
A SPEED TV show went over to Europe to drive a US Spec Buick Regal and drove it on the autobahn and nurburgring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8PHIbe3lsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwEVzDZ5NYY&feature=related
Small White Car
Apr 12, 08:44 PM
I know this thread is probably full of pro video geeks so don't eat me alive here. What's the primary difference between FCP and Express aside from the fact that Final Cut Pro is packaged in a suite of applications?
Pro takes more video formats. It has a few other tools, I think.
It's basically designed so that if you really are a hobbyist with an HDV camcorder you really won't notice a difference between the 2 since the extra things FCP has are things you'd never use anyway.
Pro takes more video formats. It has a few other tools, I think.
It's basically designed so that if you really are a hobbyist with an HDV camcorder you really won't notice a difference between the 2 since the extra things FCP has are things you'd never use anyway.
viewfly
Sep 20, 07:17 PM
I hold strong on my opinion of Consumer Reports too.
I took their advice on the best vacuum cleaner to buy, some years ago.
I took their advice on the best vacuum cleaner to buy, some years ago.
FearNo1
Apr 22, 09:58 PM
How is this "common knowledge" when apple supposedly added this all seeing eye feature in 2010? And with al bore on apple's board, that is even more reason to be concerned...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13145562
The men claim that the facility to record users' positions was added with the iOS4 software update, released in June 2010.
Really? This is common knowledge and is legal. All cell phones have this backdoor built in. Al Gore is on Apple's board. This became law in 2001.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13145562
The men claim that the facility to record users' positions was added with the iOS4 software update, released in June 2010.
Really? This is common knowledge and is legal. All cell phones have this backdoor built in. Al Gore is on Apple's board. This became law in 2001.
Rocketman
Nov 15, 09:46 AM
From what I am reading so far, the real benefit of 8 cores in the real world of a minority of applications being truly well threaded, is the ability to run 2-4 large complicated programs simultaneously, multiple instances of programs (some have talked about running 4 copies of handbrake), and multiple OS's simultaneously.
All those things also require vast amounts of memory as well, so a MacPro or X-serve is the only way to go now to addres 16GB+.
Apple has always had memory crippled computers on the low end. If they could do ONE thing in the coming 64 bit world, I would ask them to make the motherboards at least be able to address FUTURE RAM options as the cost always drops rapidly and the requirements always seem to be predominantly ram based.
Rocketman
All those things also require vast amounts of memory as well, so a MacPro or X-serve is the only way to go now to addres 16GB+.
Apple has always had memory crippled computers on the low end. If they could do ONE thing in the coming 64 bit world, I would ask them to make the motherboards at least be able to address FUTURE RAM options as the cost always drops rapidly and the requirements always seem to be predominantly ram based.
Rocketman
theBB
Jul 19, 08:30 PM
Vista will often require users to upgrade older computers to make it usable will play to Apple's advantage. The upgrade (hardware and software) disruption that Vista is going to cause is a perfect point for folks thinking about switching to a Mac to make the jump... they have to spend the money anyways so why not get a Mac (especially since if they don't like Mac OS X they can fallback on running Vista or XP on it).
But, look at it from the other angle. If Vista and Leopard does not look all that different, why switch to a Mac? Tiger would be a bit more user friendly to maintain, iLife might end up being less buggy, but you gotta balance that againts the "fear of the unknown", repurchasing some of your software and lack of close friends etc. to "borrow" software from. I am not that upbeat about 2007 for OSX.
But, look at it from the other angle. If Vista and Leopard does not look all that different, why switch to a Mac? Tiger would be a bit more user friendly to maintain, iLife might end up being less buggy, but you gotta balance that againts the "fear of the unknown", repurchasing some of your software and lack of close friends etc. to "borrow" software from. I am not that upbeat about 2007 for OSX.
noodle654
Jan 11, 09:46 PM
If that is the real name I will be shocked. It is horrible.
No comments:
Post a Comment