JRM PowerPod
Aug 7, 05:16 AM
Hahah bloody arrogant Australian.
YOU'RE STILL A COLONY OF SHEEP SHAGGERS! :D
Thats interesting coming from a New Zealander. Very interesting
You have to remember that you are a nation of Australian wannabes
YOU'RE STILL A COLONY OF SHEEP SHAGGERS! :D
Thats interesting coming from a New Zealander. Very interesting
You have to remember that you are a nation of Australian wannabes
NebulaClash
Sep 15, 09:00 AM
No, you are missing the point. Yes auto manufactures have recalls all the time and yes the customer has to come in to get it fixed on previous purchases. HOWEVER, they also fix all NEW automobiles before continue to sell to new customers. Apple isn't doing that, and that is CR's complaint.
If it was a safety issue, as with cars, Apple would do the same thing. But it's not, so it's silly to to conflate the two. That was not the intent of my analogy, and that's being missed by those focusing on the trees.
If it was a safety issue, as with cars, Apple would do the same thing. But it's not, so it's silly to to conflate the two. That was not the intent of my analogy, and that's being missed by those focusing on the trees.
BJB Productions
Apr 12, 09:51 PM
I wonder if they'll update the whole studio suite
(yes, including DVD Studio Pro I hope)
Here's hoping too. :)
(yes, including DVD Studio Pro I hope)
Here's hoping too. :)
Millah
Apr 27, 01:00 AM
You got me there. Here's a bit of interesting tech trademark trivia (Microsoft vs Lindows):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_v._Lindows
Exactly. I find it quite funny people don't understand that the "Windows" brand is referring to the windowed metaphor on desktop GUIs. So, Windows technically is just as generic as App store, considering all desktop UIs use the Window metaphor for displaying content.
But I think we'd all agree that when you hear the term windows, you think of Microsofts OS. Thats the exact same thing going on here with App store. Companies trademark "generic" terms all the time. Most trademarks ARE generic. But once it becomes used to associate a brand or product, its no longer generic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_v._Lindows
Exactly. I find it quite funny people don't understand that the "Windows" brand is referring to the windowed metaphor on desktop GUIs. So, Windows technically is just as generic as App store, considering all desktop UIs use the Window metaphor for displaying content.
But I think we'd all agree that when you hear the term windows, you think of Microsofts OS. Thats the exact same thing going on here with App store. Companies trademark "generic" terms all the time. Most trademarks ARE generic. But once it becomes used to associate a brand or product, its no longer generic.
TheOnlyJon
Nov 27, 08:45 PM
I cycle to work and school daily (except in the coming winter months) and I gotta tell you, cyclists who listen to music while they ride are clearly not very concerned for their own or anyone else's safety! No offense, but for your mother's sake, I hope she keeps the volume REALLY low, or doesn't use the iPod at all. It's rather dangerous, IMHO.
She definitely tries to be safe about it and listens to her music at a low volume. It's more just to keep her mind off of the long ride. You're are totally right though - on my college campus, I see cyclists all the time who are completely oblivious to their surroundings, and have no regard whatsoever for traffic law.
Edit: It should be mentioned, as well, that the majority of her ride is on a bike/running path along a river, and far from any roads.
She definitely tries to be safe about it and listens to her music at a low volume. It's more just to keep her mind off of the long ride. You're are totally right though - on my college campus, I see cyclists all the time who are completely oblivious to their surroundings, and have no regard whatsoever for traffic law.
Edit: It should be mentioned, as well, that the majority of her ride is on a bike/running path along a river, and far from any roads.
Tmelon
Mar 30, 08:55 PM
Is there a DMG or is the App Store / Redemption Code the only way to update? What about offline computers?
Redemption code seems to be the only way. For some reason I can't get mine to work.
Redemption code seems to be the only way. For some reason I can't get mine to work.
GreatestDane
Jan 30, 07:53 AM
I can't imagine many thieves break into cars to try to steal a built-in navigation system that is in full view on the car's dashboard though.
Maybe not in the US, but in Denmark built-in navigation costs in the region of 10000$ (I don't know how much it is in America), and if you see a car with it, you immediately think: "those people have money.", and if a thief (burglar?) thinks so to he is more likely to steal (from) your car.
Maybe not in the US, but in Denmark built-in navigation costs in the region of 10000$ (I don't know how much it is in America), and if you see a car with it, you immediately think: "those people have money.", and if a thief (burglar?) thinks so to he is more likely to steal (from) your car.

someone28624
Mar 22, 04:18 PM
Not that I'd want this, BUT why doesn't Apple make the iPod Classic a multi-touch device? The Mac proves that you don't need to have flash memory in order for multi-touch to work. Is the HDD in the Classic too slow or unresponsive to work with iOS? The could call it the iPod Touch Classic or something. Then you could have the best of both worlds, large capacity and a touch screen. If they did that, though, there's no way I'd buy an iPod Touch (not that I have a desire for one as I've go the iPhone4).
Because multitouch sucks if you're trying to control your music while falling asleep in a dark room with the player under the covers, while driving, while running, or while dusting.
Because multitouch sucks if you're trying to control your music while falling asleep in a dark room with the player under the covers, while driving, while running, or while dusting.
chillywilly
Sep 7, 12:48 PM
The prices in CompUSa will be dropped on Friday for what they may actually have in stock. They have been constraining them for the past couple weeks. All I have is the display core duo and one box stock core solo. Alot of the apple employees who work in the CompUSAs had extra days off this week due to the holiday (much needed) so they may not have been back into CUSA to let the staff know.
Kevin
I think getting a cheaper older model of Mac mini would be great, if the prices were right. It would be a great starter machine for someone that really doesn't care about having the lastest and greatest.
Kevin
I think getting a cheaper older model of Mac mini would be great, if the prices were right. It would be a great starter machine for someone that really doesn't care about having the lastest and greatest.
Some_Big_Spoon
Sep 1, 01:23 PM
I'm game. My Last generation iMac G5 is a dog compared to my MacBook on most things (adobe aside).
23" would make me order that day. Hopefully they can ship same day as well.
23" would make me order that day. Hopefully they can ship same day as well.
pointandclick
Mar 1, 10:03 PM
Yep all of them are hard drives, i have 2TB in each one and then a RAID-0 with 2x2TB.
How are they connected? I've never bothered with external drives. NAS is where it's at. ;) I don't even like to think about trying to transfer terabytes of data over usb. Plus being able to use the storage from multiple machines without having to plug/unplug.
Just rebuilt mine with 3x2tb in raidz.
How are they connected? I've never bothered with external drives. NAS is where it's at. ;) I don't even like to think about trying to transfer terabytes of data over usb. Plus being able to use the storage from multiple machines without having to plug/unplug.
Just rebuilt mine with 3x2tb in raidz.
Rocketman
Jan 2, 11:24 AM
Thereby adding $300 to the price...? Doesn't seem likely.
Need four cores? Buy a Mac Pro.
Since Intel is releasing the 2.0 Ghz C2Q chip this week, it seems likely to find its way into an iTV and/or iMac device. That's four cores on the cheap.
Rocketman
Need four cores? Buy a Mac Pro.
Since Intel is releasing the 2.0 Ghz C2Q chip this week, it seems likely to find its way into an iTV and/or iMac device. That's four cores on the cheap.
Rocketman
SPEEDwithJJ
Feb 27, 01:09 PM
^^^ What monitor stand is that? :confused: I really like it. :)
diamond.g
Mar 24, 03:47 PM
Anytime OS X detects quartz, OpenGL, etc. it kicks in. You get the idea. Generally when those are detected you tend to be doing something that will require heavy load(or heavier load).
Right.
Like running the new FF 4 (which appears to trigger the dGPU now for no apparent reason). Or when Safari needs to update its thumbnails and the dGPU kicks on.
:p
Hopefully Apple will improve the switchover to make it more frugal.
Right.
Like running the new FF 4 (which appears to trigger the dGPU now for no apparent reason). Or when Safari needs to update its thumbnails and the dGPU kicks on.
:p
Hopefully Apple will improve the switchover to make it more frugal.
andrewm
Aug 24, 08:12 PM
What the @*!& is Labour Day? Something to do with Tony Blair?
To quote the Dictionary widget, Labor Day is "a public holiday or day of festivities held in honor of working people, in the U.S. and Canada on the first Monday in September, in many other countries on May 1."
Cheers!
To quote the Dictionary widget, Labor Day is "a public holiday or day of festivities held in honor of working people, in the U.S. and Canada on the first Monday in September, in many other countries on May 1."
Cheers!
lordonuthin
Apr 17, 03:58 PM
Hehehe no it's fine, I will post it in this thread however ;)
Just realised that 1 million is very possible for me.
Keep at it ;)
Just realised that 1 million is very possible for me.
Keep at it ;)
fr4c
Jan 26, 01:43 PM
Got it a few weeks ago for my father as his DD since he just moved back to the states. Honda Accord EX 5-Speed.
http://cdn.motosnap.com/AP/2938-2-5927620-18112281-0-0/18112281.jpg
http://cdn.motosnap.com/AP/2938-2-5927620-18112281-0-0/18112281.jpg
Dont Hurt Me
Mar 20, 10:55 PM
First is advertising. Sure Apple's commericals are cute and award winning. But for once can we show some hard hitting ads that are shown more than just occasionally? Apple needs to advertise, and more than just the chic oh, that was nice. What I want to see is ads showing how much easier it is to use a mac than a pc, or how less venerable macs are to virus and hacking, then show the things for goodness sakes!!
Second is quality control.
Considering the recent problems with the ibook's logic board (over a years worth of laptops sold before admitting a problem?), problems with the 15in powerbook (wait almost a year for memory problems and white spots?) problems with the 12in powerbook(warping cases), and the old windtunnels, I'd say that Apple's quality control is slipping. Are they crap, no, but for the premium that we all pay they deserve to be better.
I do not mind a 500 dollar computer dying on me, but a 1700 laptop less than a year old? Yes I most certainly do. Having to pay $300 dollars to cover it? yes i do. Knowing a guy who sent in a 15in Albook three times for the screen? yes I do. A friend who owns a 12in whose case is warping, yes i do.
Price is not as much of an issue. Many of the people who buy 500 dollar computers would not take the time to learn about why a mac is better, they are too dollar concious(the Wal-Mart mentality, if its cheaper its better.)
Do I think Apple is dying, no. But we have an opportunity to regain market share if apple plays hardball.Jobs has stated hes not interested in the market, Apple has money in the bank. Apple has many problems but the biggest is Jobs and his denial. he thinks we dont want games, or TV, and we like being charged double what the otherside sells hardware wise. since he has taken over Apple they have put money in the bank but they have lost every year more and more of the buying public? they are doing something wrong. yeah we have ill die holding onto my old stale G4 crowd but there are plenty who will never even hear of a G4. they thought you said P4. how small will the Mac Market have to get before Apple wakes up? 1.7% last qtr is going to sound good when they release next qtrs numbers. go ahead and quote me on this if you want.
Second is quality control.
Considering the recent problems with the ibook's logic board (over a years worth of laptops sold before admitting a problem?), problems with the 15in powerbook (wait almost a year for memory problems and white spots?) problems with the 12in powerbook(warping cases), and the old windtunnels, I'd say that Apple's quality control is slipping. Are they crap, no, but for the premium that we all pay they deserve to be better.
I do not mind a 500 dollar computer dying on me, but a 1700 laptop less than a year old? Yes I most certainly do. Having to pay $300 dollars to cover it? yes i do. Knowing a guy who sent in a 15in Albook three times for the screen? yes I do. A friend who owns a 12in whose case is warping, yes i do.
Price is not as much of an issue. Many of the people who buy 500 dollar computers would not take the time to learn about why a mac is better, they are too dollar concious(the Wal-Mart mentality, if its cheaper its better.)
Do I think Apple is dying, no. But we have an opportunity to regain market share if apple plays hardball.Jobs has stated hes not interested in the market, Apple has money in the bank. Apple has many problems but the biggest is Jobs and his denial. he thinks we dont want games, or TV, and we like being charged double what the otherside sells hardware wise. since he has taken over Apple they have put money in the bank but they have lost every year more and more of the buying public? they are doing something wrong. yeah we have ill die holding onto my old stale G4 crowd but there are plenty who will never even hear of a G4. they thought you said P4. how small will the Mac Market have to get before Apple wakes up? 1.7% last qtr is going to sound good when they release next qtrs numbers. go ahead and quote me on this if you want.
Chundles
Mar 31, 06:56 AM
1. iCal is pug fugly.
2. After 10.4,5,6 and now 7 the Dashboard widgets still don't stay put.
3. Still buggy. For example - I just had to restart Safari to type in this field.
It does feel very slick though, app launch times, the smoothness of the animations and scrolling all make the machine feel MUCH faster than it does in Snow Leopard.
I'm yet to try any of this with a regular mouse but damn we're going to be selling a lot of Magic Trackpads.
2. After 10.4,5,6 and now 7 the Dashboard widgets still don't stay put.
3. Still buggy. For example - I just had to restart Safari to type in this field.
It does feel very slick though, app launch times, the smoothness of the animations and scrolling all make the machine feel MUCH faster than it does in Snow Leopard.
I'm yet to try any of this with a regular mouse but damn we're going to be selling a lot of Magic Trackpads.
zap2
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
Awesome. :)
And please, dear God, let there be new Minis - I've been checking MacRumors multiple times per day lately hoping for any Mini rumors.
Seriously, if I were to upgrade my current Mini(which is from early 2006) with a new CPU, I wouldn't be that far behind the current Mini is CPU performance(of course the GPU would still smoke mine.
Thats not a common event in Apple's line up. Although it speaks nicely about Intel supporting sockets for a decent amount of time.
But thunderbolt, sandy bridge and the new design(which makes some stuff easier, some harder for me when it comes to upgrade, but looks so sexy!) make an upgrade to the new Mini a no brainer for me. Heck even the CPU will be a great step up from the Intel GMA 950!
And please, dear God, let there be new Minis - I've been checking MacRumors multiple times per day lately hoping for any Mini rumors.
Seriously, if I were to upgrade my current Mini(which is from early 2006) with a new CPU, I wouldn't be that far behind the current Mini is CPU performance(of course the GPU would still smoke mine.
Thats not a common event in Apple's line up. Although it speaks nicely about Intel supporting sockets for a decent amount of time.
But thunderbolt, sandy bridge and the new design(which makes some stuff easier, some harder for me when it comes to upgrade, but looks so sexy!) make an upgrade to the new Mini a no brainer for me. Heck even the CPU will be a great step up from the Intel GMA 950!
Evmanw
Apr 2, 09:39 PM
I can't believe that Nobody has mentioned that in the ad, the person zoomed in on a video. That is a feture that is very much needed :cool:
DrFrankTM
Sep 1, 01:45 PM
No way would I pay an extra $500 for an 8% faster machine and a slighly larger display, when for that money I can go with the 20" and buy a second widescreen 20" display and have a HUGE viewable area.
The 23" is going to have to be a LOT closer to the 20" in order for it to sell. I'm thinking $1899 or $1999, or else it will have to be decked out with extra RAM, HD space, or CPU speed.
I don't really know about the ideal price difference, but for some people, it wouldn't matter much. If you want a system with a lot of screen space, then you can get two 1920x1200 monitors. Sure, it will cost you, but if you need the space, then you'll go for the 23-inch. Also, to watch movies, a big screen is better than two small ones. It all depends on what you need the computer for...
The 23" is going to have to be a LOT closer to the 20" in order for it to sell. I'm thinking $1899 or $1999, or else it will have to be decked out with extra RAM, HD space, or CPU speed.
I don't really know about the ideal price difference, but for some people, it wouldn't matter much. If you want a system with a lot of screen space, then you can get two 1920x1200 monitors. Sure, it will cost you, but if you need the space, then you'll go for the 23-inch. Also, to watch movies, a big screen is better than two small ones. It all depends on what you need the computer for...
csHokie
May 3, 11:38 PM
Uh, this comment is entirely wrong. With iOS, you can download something and move to another app and it will continue downloading in the background. The multitasking APIs have all the obvious backgrounding tasks covered and will likely include more if needed. Basically the goal is to allow background tasks when needed and when not needed let the app suspend and release resources to the apps you actually need. This method in iOS has proven to work far better than traditional operating systems like Mac OS X and Windows. That's why they are bringing it "Back to the Mac OS". The best parts of what they developed in iOS are being added in Lion.
I think most people's problem is that they mistakenly viewed iOS as inferior in every way to Mac OS X but in many ways it is cutting edge and far better than OS X and Windows have ever been. The way iOS multitasking works is the reason very powerful and memory hungry apps like iMove and GarageBand for iPad work so surprisingly well on such a limited memory device. The apps get to use a much larger percentage of the CPU, GPU, and RAM than they do on traditional OSes under normal usage where you have multiple apps open.
Yeah, it would work great for quick loading, full screen or minimized applications. I'm afraid it would fall apart most everywhere else... and they would have to have more background options than in iOS (can I listen on a socket for incoming connections in a daemon?). Anyway, I don't think they will get rid of the traditional <blank>top multitasking.
Right now I have a bunch of tabs open in Safari on my Mac and it's consuming a little over 1GB of RAM and lots of CPU. If I switch to Photoshop, Safari is still going to be using up all that RAM and CPU I really need for Photoshop when I don't plan on using Safari again until later today. And I don't want to shut it down because I have a bunch things in these tabs that I want to get back to later today including partially typed forum replies, halfway read articles, etc. On the iPad, Safari would suspend and release the RAM and CPU to my currently used RAM/CPU hungry app. That's what they need to bring to Lion.
Use Firefox and save tabs on exit...
I think most people's problem is that they mistakenly viewed iOS as inferior in every way to Mac OS X but in many ways it is cutting edge and far better than OS X and Windows have ever been. The way iOS multitasking works is the reason very powerful and memory hungry apps like iMove and GarageBand for iPad work so surprisingly well on such a limited memory device. The apps get to use a much larger percentage of the CPU, GPU, and RAM than they do on traditional OSes under normal usage where you have multiple apps open.
Yeah, it would work great for quick loading, full screen or minimized applications. I'm afraid it would fall apart most everywhere else... and they would have to have more background options than in iOS (can I listen on a socket for incoming connections in a daemon?). Anyway, I don't think they will get rid of the traditional <blank>top multitasking.
Right now I have a bunch of tabs open in Safari on my Mac and it's consuming a little over 1GB of RAM and lots of CPU. If I switch to Photoshop, Safari is still going to be using up all that RAM and CPU I really need for Photoshop when I don't plan on using Safari again until later today. And I don't want to shut it down because I have a bunch things in these tabs that I want to get back to later today including partially typed forum replies, halfway read articles, etc. On the iPad, Safari would suspend and release the RAM and CPU to my currently used RAM/CPU hungry app. That's what they need to bring to Lion.
Use Firefox and save tabs on exit...
fblack
Oct 23, 10:30 AM
If this is true then...hallelujah! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment